Te pou o te whakatupua
Te pou o te whakatawhito
Te pou o Ranginui e tū nei!
Ko Tupua te Kawa, ko Tāwhito te Kawa, ko te matoi o te Rangi! Tēnei rā te taketake e Rongo-mā-Rua-Whatu-mā, whakeketia ki runga ki te Awa-nui-a-Rua, waiwai te Awa-nui-a-Rua, tuatua te Awa-nui-a-Rua, ko ororu koe whakatupuria, he kawa ora!
Te Pou Tupua Inauguration Ceremony
This pānui serves to give advance notice that the inauguration ceremony for Te Pou Tupua will be held at Ngapuwaiwaha Marae, Taumarunui on Saturday 4 November 2017.
Te Pou Tupua is the sacred station that upholds the new status of Te Awa Tupua arising from Ruruku Whakatupua, the Whanganui River Deed of Settlement, signed in 2014. Legislation was enacted in March 2017 to give effect to Ruruku Whakatupua establishing Te Awa Tupua as a legal person and legitimising at law a set of innate values for Te Awa Tupua called Tupua Te Kawa. Te Pou Tupua will promote the innate values and the new legal status to the local and national community in the interests of providing for the health and wellbeing of the Whanganui River.
The inauguration ceremony for Te Pou Tupua will legitimise Te Pou Tupua via the kawa and tikanga of the hapū and iwi of Te Awa Tupua and in so doing, establish the role of Te Pou Tupua as one belonging to the River and its communities. All hapū, iwi and communities are therefore welcome to attend the ceremony.
Dame Tariana Turia, DNZM and Poukōrero, Mr Turama Hawira were jointly appointed by the iwi of Te Awa Tupua and the Crown in August 2017 to jointly present the human face and voice of Te Awa Tupua as Te Pou Tupua for the next three years.
An official invitation will be sent shortly as details are still being finalised. However, an initial guide to the timings and elements involved in the ceremony is provided below:
Friday 3 November
- 4pm Pōwhiri at Ngapuwaiwaha Marae followed by kōrero and preparations for the ceremony.
Saturday 4 November
- Pre-dawn: Ceremony at River then whakaeke back on to Ngapuwaiwaha Marae
- 8am: Pōwhiri onto Ngapuwaiwaha Marae for those who were not present Friday evening, followed by light refreshments.
- 9am: Further ceremonial elements and speeches.
- 10am: Hākari followed by initial meeting between iwi leadership of Te Awa Tupua and Te Pou Tupua.
Final confirmation of details by way of official invitation will be sent to you by mid next week.
Kāti. Ka mihi ake.
nā Gerrard Albert
Ngā Tāngata Tiaki o Whanganui Trust
Resource consents and concessions are part and parcel of the work that a number of hapū/marae and whānau are involved in. Whānau members working in this space have asked us for tools that will help them work through consents and concessions that may cross their tables; especially those that impact on Te Awa Tupua and our communities.
A draft guidelines and questions booklet has been developed to assist whānau who may be reviewing and responding to consents. These guidelines can be used to:
- check off how/if a consent is impacting on Te Awa Tupua and our manganui/ mangaiti; and
- can also be used when whānau are on site visits and wish to ask questions of the developers, industries, planners etc.
We would like your feedback – are these helpful? How can we improve them?
We are also looking to hold a wānanga with interested whānau. This wānanga will focus on how to use these guidelines effectively and test them against resource consent examples. The wānanga will be held on the afternoon of 25th October at the Ngā Tāngata Tiaki offices in Whanganui. To register your interest, please contact Racquel McKenzie: firstname.lastname@example.org or Sheena Maru: email@example.com
WAKANZ Four-day Workshop Information
ELECTION OF TRUSTEES FOR NGĀ TĀNGATA TIAKI O WHANGANUI FOR THE 2018-2021 TERM
Please find a link to a pānui regarding the nomination of Trustees to Ngā Tāngata Tiaki o Whanganui Trust by Te Rūnanga o Te Awa Tupua for the 2018-2021 term.
In summary, the pānui outlines the following:
Te Rūnanga o Te Awa Tupua nominations process to fill three (3) Trustee positions opens 1 September 2017 – a copy of the official nomination form can be obtained via this link: https://goo.gl/wVdHAr
- Individual nominations must be received by 6 October 2017;
- Hapū may endorse individual nomination forms but this is optional;
- Te Rūnanga o Te Awa Tupua must receive and consider equally any valid nomination;
- Te Rūnanga o Te Awa Tupua must provide its nominations to Ngā Tāngata Tiaki o Whanganui by 1 March 2018;
- The second stage for filling the remaining four (4) Trustee positions runs between April 2018 and September 2018;
- All seven (7) Trustees will be confirmed and take office at the conclusion of the AGM of Ngā Tāngata Tiaki o Whanganui in September 2018; and
- All Trustees, regardless of method of nomination/election are required to represent equally all uri, whānau, hapū and Iwi of Whanganui.
Please follow the link https://goo.gl/1XfXva to read the full pānui in detail. Please feel free to share this link/information to the appropriate people/organisations for consideration.
General Manager – Ngā Tāngata Tiaki o Whanganui
a copy of the, official Te Rūnanga o Te Awa Tupua nomination form can be obtained from the website https://goo.gl/wVdHAr or by calling the office of Ngā Tāngata Tiaki o Whanganui
The Ngā Tāngata Tiaki o Whanganui Trust Annual Report for 2015-2016 is now avaliable online – click here
If you would like a hard copy please call our team 0800 AWA TUPUA (0800 292 8878) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Copies of the Annual Report will be distributed at the Annual General Meeting to be held 25th September 2016, commencing at 11 am at Rānana (Ruakā) Marae, Rānana -Whanganui River.
Annual General Meeting Notice
Ngā manga iti, ngā manga nui e honohono kau ana, ka tupu, hei Awa Tupua. He powhiri tenei ki ngā uri maha o Whanganui Iwi.
The Ngā Tāngata Tiaki o Whanganui Annual General Meeting for the period 1 April 2015 to 31 March 2016 will be held:
Date: 25th September 2016, commencing at 11am
Venue: Rūaka Marae, Rānana, Whanganui River Rd.
- Whakatau and Karakia
- Confirmation of 2015 AGM minutes
- Presentation of Annual Report for 2015-2016
- Presentation of Annual Plan for 2016-2017 and Five Year Plan
- Approve Appointment of Auditor for 2016-2017
- Approve Trustees’ Remuneration
- General Business
- Karakia Whakamutunga
To register for transport from Taumarunui, Ohākune/Raetihi and Whanganui call 0800 AWA TUPUA (0800 292 8878).
Māori Affairs Select Committee for the Te Awa Tupua (Whanganui River Settlement) Bill
Te Awa Tupua (Whanganui River Settlement) Bill – Hearing Submissions WELLINGTON
Ngā Tāngata Tiaki o Whanganui has been notified that the Māori Affairs Select Committee will be hearing late submissions on our Te Awa Tupua (Whanganui River Settlement) Bill on Monday 5th September 2016.
- The venue is confirmed as Committee Room 6, Parliament House – Wellington
- Submissions on the, Te Awa Tupua (Whanganui River Settlement) Bill are scheduled to begin at 4.00 pm
Please note that times are subject to change with that in mind you may wish to arrive earlier.
A copy of the Ngā Tāngata Tiaki submission can be read on the Ngā Tāngata Tiaki o Whanganui website http://www.ngatangatatiaki.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/NTT-Submission-Te-Awa-Tupua-Whanganui-River-Claims-Settlement-Bill.pdf
To learn more about Bill and law development please refer the follow link
Te Mana o Te Awa are currently accepting applications for. The closing date for this funding round closes on 11th October 2016. We are hosting an information evening on the 07th of September from 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm at Morero Marae, Taumarunui. If you are interested in applying for the fund we would like to invite you to attend this information evening. The session will be a relaxed and will cover the application process in its entirety. This will include:
- An overview of Te Mana o te Awa Programme
- Te Mana o te Awa – Iwi Initiatives
- strategic objectives of the fund
- Priority areas of the fund
- Tupua te Kawa
- Assessment Criteria
- An option to present your proposal to the selection panel
- Application Template Guide
- Patai and some ideas
To register please email email@example.com or contact Javell Pereka on 06 2813404. An application form, and a template that can be used to guide your application.